6.24.2008

I see what you did there.

One of the best things about shopping for a new car? Obvious sales tactics!

VW Salesman: So, what is it going to take to get you into a car today

Me: Oh, we are just looking, I don't know if I am going to sell my car yet we are going to wait and see what happens after it is fixed.

VW Salesman: Okay, I understand, but, how can we get you in a car today

Me:Uh..........I just......we don't...

VW Salesman: You know, you could just save the money you were going to use to fix your old car, then donate the car to charity. The money you saved by not fixing your car could then be used for a down payment on a new car.

Me: Ugh, Really? Are we going to do this?

VW Salesman: Every day you keep that old car you are losing money.

Me: You are kidding me right? Please stop. I am embarrassed for you.


I felt awful for the guy. He was very green, very ambitious, very persistent and very nice but his technique made me cringe. How the hell does it make sense that everyday I hold on to my car (that I outright own) I lose money? Yes, cars are depreciating assets and they constantly lose their value from the second you drive it off the lot, but do 2009 VW rabbits vomit money from the depths of their 5 cylinder engines that help cover the cost of a monthly payment? And if they do, why is that not outlined in the brochure?

Word on the street is that going into debt, with an auto loan, that has a fair amount of interest on it, is not cheap nor is it an appreciating asset. I am still scratching my head as to why he thought this was a good line to use.

When I bought my first new car and I had talked them down in price, but still needed to think about the decision overnight the Toyota salesman actually said to me "what, you don't want the car". Oh crap! I totally forgot, I DOOOO want the car. What was I thinking? Where do I sing?

Toyota Salesman was an asshat.

VW Salesman was just new. I wanted to pinch his cheeks and buy him a self help book about how to believe in yourself and make a sale then send him on his way.


Instead we left. He was sneaky, but not that sneaky.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

There is nothing I hate worse than creepy car salesmen. Thanks for stopping by my site, and by all means - I love me some housewife soulmates!! :)